Who needs this course?
Under the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations, 2002, every business needs a COSHH assessment, and if the business employs five or more employees, the assessment needs to be documented.
If the business is small, then a nominated, competent person will need to write the assessment. If the business is large, then perhaps each department will need an assessment.
This course will enable you to
- Understand the requirements of the COSHH legislation.
- Help you know what to do to prepare the assessment for your business, saving costly consultant time.
- Provide you with blank forms to record your own data in a format that will meet the requirements of health and safety.
- Give you a recognised City and Guilds certificate after successfully completing the assessment.
- Enable you to print your City and Guild certificate directly from your PC.
Course content for COSHH in the Food industry
- Commonly used chemicals – detergents, disinfectants, de- greasers, sanitizers and sterilisers
- The format of hazardous substances
- Legal requirements
- Risk assessments for COSHH – hazards and risks
- The 5 steps of risk assessment
- What is REACH?
- Safety Data Sheets – What they should contain
- International Safety labels
- Hazardous fruit, vegetables and flowers
- Providing welfare facilities
- Chemical storage.
- Health surveillance
- The format of the assessment
- Blank assessment form to download
1 ½ - 2 hours, but realistically at the speed of the user.
The course has 30 multichoice questions, and successful candidates will answer a minimum of 20 questions correctly.
This course is accredited by City and Guilds.
£29 + VAT per course – Multiple discounts available when buying more than 50 courses
Frequently Asked Questions
- QDoes everyone have to do a COSHH course?
- AIt would be a good idea as it would make all workers aware of the hazardous substances in the workplace, but the people who must know about COSHH are supervisors and managers who are responsible for any hazardous substances in their workplace. Remember five or more employees and the COSHH assessment must be documented.
- QAm I right in saying that COSHH is only a management issue?
- ANo, COSHH affects everyone, but managers and supervisors must write the COSHH assessment.
- QBut we don’t have dangerous chemicals in food industry, not like say, petroleum works
- AThe food industry is a very dangerous industry. Some commonly used chemicals and even food ingredients can cause very nasty reactions in those who use them.
- QWe should be ok or when it comes to hazardous material, as we always use disposable gloves.
- AHazardous materials come in many formats e. g. smoke, dusts, vapours. Even your latex gloves can in themselves be an allergen for some people. You must look at all the activities in your workplace to be safe and compliant with COSHH Regulations.